Monday, March 12, 2012

A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland #1) by Judith McNaught


SUMMARY (from Goodreads): Abducted from her convent school, headstrong Scottish beauty Jennifer Merrick does not easily surrender to Royce Westmoreland, Duke of Claymore. Known as “The Wolf,” his very name strikes terror in the hearts of his enemies. But proud Jennifer will have nothing to do with the fierce English warrior who holds her captive, this handsome rogue who taunts her with his blazing arrogance. Boldly she challenges his will . . . until the night he takes her in his powerful embrace, awakening in her an irresistible hunger. And suddenly Jennifer finds herself ensnared in a bewildering web . . . a seductive, dangerous trap of pride, passion, loyalty, and overwhelming love.

MY OPINION:

I do not like romance books where the couple is on the opposite sides through most of the book and only get together in the end. Fortunately, A Kingdom of Dreams is the kind of romance I like best, that is one where the protagonists fight for their relationship together. So, I loved it.

The main protagonists are both strong characters who know what they want. Even though people try to turn them against one another, they see through the schemes pretty soon. In the meantime, they exchange a lot of banter, which I enjoyed reading, because it was both funny and meaningful for the development of their relationship.

Also, I fell in love with two of the minor protagonists, Breena and Stefan Westmoreland. Judith McNaught provides little information on them, but enough to make me love them. I wish McNaught decided to write a book focused on those two, although it does not look like it will happen. I can hope, though.

RECOMMENDATION: A Kingdom of Dreams is a fast-paced romance not only with a thoroughly compelling main plot but also with fascinating minor characters and an intriguing second romance hinted at in the background. Therefore, I think lovers of historical romance will certainly enjoy it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate to drop me a few strange new words! I'd love to hear what you think!