Tuesday, July 26, 2011

It Started a Year Ago

Actually, it started as soon as I knew how to read. Many years ago I boldly set off beyond strange new words to peek into fascinating worlds books have to offer.

I got the idea for starting a book blog one lovely day last summer when I was having a chat with my friend Irena (of This Miss Loves to Read) who had just started her own book blog. So, thank you, Irena, for the inspiration.

It took some contemplating on the name and getting the technicalities, and a year ago Beyond Strange New Words was born.


It was a quiet birth, no fireworks, not even a start up post; I just posted three reviews of the books I had just read then (if you are interested, those were Grace and Truth, Jerusalem, and a joint reflection on The Twilight Saga and The Host).

The main reason I started this blog is that I have never been good at remembering the titles and authors of the books I read, so it seemed a good idea to help me keep records of what a read. I did not imagine gaining so many followers and having so much fun book blogging.

Therefore, thanks to all of my readers, I am so glad of your interest in my blog.

Also, I have experienced so many great things through book blogging. I met a lot of wonderful fellow book bloggers; it is wonderful to see other people sharing my passion for reading.

Through book blogging I keep discovering great new books, I found my way to Goodreads, and I have recently joined Twitter (@StrangeNewWords). Participating in Random Magic Tour: Pirates! was an amazing blogging experience.

All in all, book blogging brought a lot of joy into my life and I plan to keep doing it. Thanks so much to everyone who make this so much fun. Especially, thanks to all my readers for being interested in my blog. I would gladly reward you with an awesome giveaway, but I am a little tight on money now, however, I hope I will be able to do this next year.

Finally, as an anniversary is a good time to try and improve things, I am asking you, my readers: what would you like me to change? Is there anything you dislike about my blog? Are you missing something? Do you wish there was more or less of a particular kind of content?  Feel free to leave your suggestions in comments, and I will try to make this blog better.

Thanks again to all the book blogging community, you are amazing and here is to you and another year! Cheers!

A glass of champagne [924635]

10 comments:

  1. Not only can I not remember titles, I can't even remember the plots. That's why I thoughts writing reviews would help solidify the books in my head, and it has! That's one big reason I started a blog, but I found out there are many other great reasons! Happy Blogoversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Blogoversary!!!!!!!!!

    There's nothing I would change about your blog :-) It's one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Happy Anniversary!! I've always said, that as long as your are enjoying yourself-then blogging can be the best thing. Doesn't matter how many books you are able to read, or how many films your able to watch; it's all about the passion. Here's to many more years!! Cheers from Hawaii ~ Suz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo happy anniversary to your blog!! Such an awesome milestone :) And I really do like your blog just the way it is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy blogoversary. I think your blog is great. Suggestions? I don't know. It'd be cool if you turned that cute cat picture into a big header - with more cat pictures. I like the background you have. The photo of the grass with water droplets is really pretty. I just love animal photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Blogoversary! That's an awesome milestone, and you should be proud of yourself! I think your blog looks great and all your reviews are great so far, so keep up the good work! ;) Hope you're celebrating the day in style!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jo, Jillian, Alison and Sarah:)

    Alison, I actually tried what you are suggesting once, but didn't manage to get it right. Maybe I will try again some time I feel like experimenting. Thanks for the idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! Reaching milestones is always exciting and fun.

    ReplyDelete

Don't hesitate to drop me a few strange new words! I'd love to hear what you think!