Thursday, July 07, 2011

Booking Through Thursday – Dog Days


 btt button

Since my dog is turning 10 today … what animal-related books have you read? Which do you love? Do you have a favorite literary dog? (Snoopy, anyone?)

White Fang by Jack London is the first book that comes to my mind, then Lassie, naturally. I am sure I read quite some animal-related books; I just cannot remember titles and authors.

My absolute favourite literary dog of all times though is Kazan, the protagonist of Kazan by James Oliver Curwood. Kazan is a tamed half-wolf/half-dog and the book is mostly written from his point of view. Kazan is a loyal and smart dog. His life is very hard as he changes a lot of “owners”, some very cruel, has many adventures and helps many people. It is an amazing, heat-wrenching story which I read several times and it made me laugh and cry every time. I recommend this book to everyone. I love it.

12 comments:

  1. All great choices. I really just went with my gut reaction I should have thought longer.
    My BTT answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't read about Kazan. Must look for that title in the library. I ended up with a long list. http://unicornslaststand.blogspot.com/2011/07/dog-days.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read Kazan or White Fang.
    Here's My BTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kazan sounds intriguing. I may have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Read White Fang, Kazan sounds good.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/07/booking-through-thursday.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this, but sounds wonderful!! I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah yes, White Fang - that's a good one! Haven't heard of Kazan before now, but I'll have to take a look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite dog and dog book is Where The Red Fern Grows. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. White Fang is the only book my husband has ever read and that was 20+ years ago LOL. I haven't read a lot of strongly animal themed books though I have read quite a few mysteries where the animals are partners of a sort like the Sneaky Pie series from Rita Mae Brown, Chet and Bernie Mysteries by Spencer Quin. I've also read Marley and Me and I have The Art of Racing in the Rain waiting to be read.

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kazan sounds like a very cool doggie hero! Interesting.

    Hope you'll stop by and say hello...

    Cindy @ Cindy's Book Club

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting titles. But I think I'd stay away from the heart wrenching stories. Thank you for stopping by my blog.

    Halie

    ReplyDelete

Don't hesitate to drop me a few strange new words! I'd love to hear what you think!