Friday, July 01, 2011

Book Blogger Hop, July 1 – 4, 2011

Book Blogger Hop is hosted by Jennifer at Crazy-for-Books. It is a great way of discovering new blogs and meeting fellow book bloggers, talking about books and authors, and sharing our love for literature.

This week’s question is: What keeps you reading beyond the first few pages of a book, and what makes you want to stop reading a book and put it back on the shelf?
MY ANSWER:
A good plot is definitely the most significant for keeping me reading a book. Sometimes, however, the plot is not particularly special, but there might be an intriguing character or more of them, because of which I insist on finding out what happens to them. Also, often it is the writing which makes it worth reading a book through.
The plot, the characters and the writing, if they are of poor quality, are also the reasons that can stop me from continuing reading a book and put it back on the shelf. Nothing is more torturous than reading a badly-written book with a boring story and predictable, one-dimensional characters. 

13 comments:

  1. That combination of elements is so important to really enjoy a book.

    Thanks for stopping by Book'd Out earlier!

    Shelleyrae

    ReplyDelete
  2. These book blogger hop questions just get better and better. This one looks easy but I think it’s a trick question. We all know it’s the same answer – the writing – but we all have different perspectives of what good writing is.

    Hop on over to my blog at http://www.howardsherman.net and read my three-prong answer as I explain why I’ll decide to pick up a book or put it down in under sixty seconds.

    Happy July 4th Weekend!

    Howard Sherman, Implementor
    http://www.howardsherman.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Nothing is more torturous than reading a badly-written book with a boring story and predictable, one-dimensional characters. "

    Hear, hear!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's usually a combination of things that keep all of us reading books.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopping through. A great story is key, but I agree that a great character can sometimes make up with problems in plot.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for hopping by :-) Sometimes there's just nothing that can save a book, when the writing, characters and plot suck it really deserves to be put down. Sometimes I wonder how things even get to be published in the first place!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, a character I love can get me through an otherwise tedious book!

    thanks for stopping by my blog!

    Anja

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Follow Friday! I am a follower! Hope you will stop by http://EmmaMichaels.Blogspot.com

    Sincerely,
    Emma Michaels

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by my blog, I'm now following you as well. What do you feel makes a poorly written book? People go on and on about Twilight being poorly written, but every time I pick it up it sucks me back in so that I can barely put it down to even sleep at night. Just curious how you would explain it, because I try to argue with people about it, but don't know exactly how else to say it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely spot-on about how and why a book becomes tedious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stopping by via Crazy-For-Book's Blog Hop. I'm following your blog.

    I'm having a giveaway on my blog this weekend so please stop by!

    Holjo @ Pedantic Phooka
    www.pedanticphooka.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. An excellent combination of reasons to either keep reading a book or put it back down depending on the circumstance. :) Thank you for visiting and happy reading this weekend!

    ~DJL

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Lisa Mandina: Your question just made my brain-cells start working on turbo speed, so I'm writing a post on it. Expect it tomorrow and thanks for making me think:)

    ReplyDelete

Don't hesitate to drop me a few strange new words! I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog