Sunday, January 01, 2012

2012 Challenge


I am not joining any challenges, but I am setting my own personal challenge which is to read 50 books January 1st – December 31st 2012:
  • · rereads don’t count
  • · books not written in English and not translated into English don’t count either
CHALLENGE RECORDS:
Books are listed in order of reading (with the level of strangeness, see my rating system); those reviewed are linked to their reviews and also listed under Reviews by Author and Reviews by Rating tabs. The books not counting (rereads, non-English) are in italics and numbered separately, but I list them here to keep track of the total number of the books I read. 
  1. Dracula, My Love by Syrie James (3)
  2. The Recruit (Cherub #1) by Robert Muchamore (3.5)
  3. The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: an Eclipse Novella by Stephenie Meyer (4)
  4. Definitely Dead (Sookie Stackhouse #6) by Charlaine Harris (3)
  5. All Together Dead (Sookie Stackhouse #7) by Charlaine Harris (3.5)
  6. When the Duke Returns by Eloisa James (3)
  7. The Avenger by P. C. Cast (4)
  8. Someone to Watch over Me by Lisa Kleypas (3)
  9. From Dead To Worse (Sookie Stackhouse #8) by Charlaine Harris (3.5)
  10. The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan (2)
  11. A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland #1) by Judith McNaught (4)
  12. Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #1) by Maggie Stiefvater (4)
  13. Dark Desires after Dusk (Immortals After Dark #6) by Kresley Cole (4)
  14. Kindred Hearts by Rowan Speedwell (4)
  15. Moonsong (The Vampire Diaries: The Hunters #2) by L. J. Smith* (4)
  16. Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #2) by Maggie Stiefvater (4)
  17. Evermore (Evermore #1) by Alyson Noel (2)
  18. Menaechmi; Or, the Twin-Brothers by Plautus (3)
  19. The Crystal Skull by Manda Scott (5)
  20. The Distant Hours by Kate Morton (3)
  21. Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades #1) by E. L. James (5)
  22. Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades #2) by E. L. James (5)
  23. Fifty Shades Freed (Fifty Shades #3) by E. L. James (5)
  24. I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan (3)
  25. My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares (4)
  26. Awakened by a Kiss by Lila DiPasqua (2.5)
  27. A Trick of the Dark by B. R. Collins (2.5)
  28. The Collector by John Fowles (4)
  29. Fast Women by Jennifer Crusie (3)
  30. Torment (Fallen #2) by Lauren Kate (3.5)
  31. All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten by Robert Fulghum (3)
  32. Paris in the Twentieth Century by Jules Verne (4.5)
  33. Kiss of a Demon King (Immortals After Dark #7) by Kresley Cole (4)
  34. Tiger's Curse (The Tiger Saga #1) by Collen Houck (3)
  35. Dracula by Bram Stoker (3)
  36. Second Glance by Jodi Picoult (5)
  37. Deep Kiss of Winter (Immortals After Dark #8) by Kresely Cole (5)
  38. Spirit of Lost Angels by Liza Perrat (4)
  39. How Huge the Night by Heather and Lydia Munn (5)
  40. Debutante by Thomas Galvin (5)
  41. Forever (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #3) by Maggie Stiefvater (4)
*this book was written by an anonymous ghost-writer
Books not counting for the challenge (and reasons):
  1. Čefurji raus! by Goran Vojnović (a Slovene book by a Slovene author, not translated into English) (4)
  2. The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (reread) (2.5)
  3. Für jede Lösung ein Problem by Kerstin Gier (originally written in German, not translated into English, read it in Slovene) (4)
  4. Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades #1) by E. L. James (reread)
  5. Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades #2) by E. L. James (reread)
  6. Kako sem postal slaven by Ivan Sivec (a Slovene book by a Slovene author, not translated into English ) (4)
  7. The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (5) Part 1 and Part 2 of my review.
  8. Lessons on Creative Writing by Michal Viewegh (a short story by a Czech author, I'm not sure whether it's translated into English, read it in Slovene) (3.5)
CHALLENGE WRAP-UP:

50 books:
I read 41. I also read 8 books which I did not count in the 50 books challenge because they were either rereads or not written and/or translated into English. And it still doesn't make 50.
Rating stats – according to my Goodreads ratings, though I rated several books with half-stars:
Did not rate: 0
* not strange: 0
** a little strange: 2
*** strange enough: 17
**** very strange: 14
***** beyond strange: 8
I'm not too disappointed by not making my goal, though, considering the reading slumps and other issues, together with the fact that I could find a lot of books I really liked, I'm okay with my reading in 2012. However, I will try to improve in 2013.
Books I Read in 2011



No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate to drop me a few strange new words! I'd love to hear what you think!