Wednesday, February 01, 2012

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: an Eclipse Novella by Stephenie Meyer


SUMMARY (from Goodreads): Fans of The Twilight Saga will be enthralled by this riveting story of Bree Tanner, a character first introduced in Eclipse, and the darker side of the newborn vampire world she inhabits. In another irresistible combination of danger, mystery, and romance, Stephenie Meyer tells the devastating story of Bree and the newborn army as they prepare to close in on Bella Swan and the Cullens, following their encounter to its unforgettable conclusion.

MY OPINION:

Note: This review contains mild SPOILERS, including for The Twilight Saga through Eclipse.

As a huge fan of The Twilight Saga, I had to pick up this Eclipse novella eventually. The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner tells the story of the vampire newborns who attack the Cullens in Eclipse.

The life of Bree and the vampires like her is very different from that of the Cullens. Bree lives in a constant fear among perpetually fighting vampires, always thirsty for blood. However, Bree is an intelligent girl, and she uses every bit of that intelligence to survive.

Thus, she eventually forms two doomed friendships: with Diego, an intelligent vampire, capable of self-restraint just as herself, and with Fred, a strange loner with an unusual talent.

The events in The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner are wholly synchronised with those in Eclipse. Through Bree’s observations, Meyer complements the parts of Eclipse concerning Victoria, Riley, and the Volturi. Seeing everything, especially the Cullens, through Bree’s eyes is fascinating. 

My only complaint about this novella is that I wanted it to be longer. Although I knew better, I grew to love Bree, and I was sad to say goodbye to her. I would love to read more about her. Well, maybe Meyer writes Fred’s story some day, I would definitely read that. 

RECOMMENDATION: Twilight fans will love this. Even if you are sceptic about picking it up because you know how it ends, it is well-worth reading it.

4 comments:

  1. I have this sitting somewhere in my bookshelf. you just convinced me to get it out and read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually liked this one more than Eclipse! I loved the different viewpoint especially. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - the different point of view was refreshing.

      Delete

Don't hesitate to drop me a few strange new words! I'd love to hear what you think!