Friday, March 04, 2011

Book Blogger Hop, March 4 – 7, 2011

Book Blogger Hop is hosted by Jennifer at Crazy-for-Books. It is a great way of discovering new blogs and meeting fellow book bloggers, talking about books and authors, and sharing our love for literature. This week's question is: 

 “Who's your all-time favourite book villain?”

Book Blogger Hop

MY ANSWER:

My favourite book villain would answer this question somewhat like this:

“Its usss, my precious, usss. When we get my precious back, we’ll be the Masssster, yesss, my precious. Then those nasssty men will pay for what they’ve done to usss. Yesss, they will, my precious. Gollum, Gollum.”

Gollum/Sméagol is such a great character J.R.R. Tolkien created in The Lord of the Rings. The Gollum parts are so enjoyable and entertaining because of his specific language. His villainy is very cunning, and his evil plans elaborated very much to the point. He is an absolutely selfish creature, so much possessed by the power of the Ring that not even Sauron cannot control him anymore. Thus, his obsession with the Ring in its maliciousness makes Gollum unintentionally do some good, too. All of these features make Gollum/Sméagol a lovable character.  

7 comments:

  1. Hi, hon - happy to be a new follower. Nice choice with Gollum . . . I'd go so far as to say a 'precious' choice! I went with Stephen King's Randall Flagg.

    Sally @ Bibrary Bookslut

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choice and great commentary. LOTR is an amazing trilogy. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo, that's a great villain. I've never read LOTR - just the hobbit. But Gollum is totally twisted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is definitly a good one, even though I see Gollum more as a tragic hero!! Hope you have a great weekend!!
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite book villain is, hands down, is the Napoleon of crime -
    Professor James Moriarty.

    It took me less than ten seconds to come up with my answer. But you'll
    never guess why.

    Hop on over to my blog and find out -- http://www.howardsherman.net

    Howard Sherman
    http://www.howardsherman.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Juli: I partly agree with Gollum being a tragic hero. In spite of all his evilly, he is a miserable creature, and he still has some desire for goodness in him, so I feel sorry for him. But, he is not just an innocent victim of the Ring, because the Ring attracts things that are evil in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopping through. Love Gollum as a villain too.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete

Don't hesitate to drop me a few strange new words! I'd love to hear what you think!