Friday, November 25, 2011

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)

DIRECTOR: Rob Marshall; CAST: Johnny Depp, Penélope Cruz, Geoffrey Rush…

SUMMARY (from IMDB): Captain Jack Sparrow (Depp) crosses paths with a woman from his past (Cruz), and he's not sure if it's love – or if she’s a ruthless con artist who's using him to find the fabled Fountain of Youth. When she forces him aboard the Queen Anne's Revenge, the ship of the formidable pirate Blackbeard (McShane), Jack finds himself on an unexpected adventure in which he doesn't know who to fear more: Blackbeard or the woman from his past.

MY OPINION:

I did not find On Stranger Tides as good as the previous three Pirates of the Caribbean films. For one thing, I missed Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly. I enjoyed the film, nonetheless.

The story seems to be a little mellow in comparison to the previous films. It does not have the same gripping focus, at least not to me. It did not hold me in suspense from the beginning to the end.

Nevertheless, I had a fun two hours. Jack Sparrow is amusing enough and he always saves the day. He always manages to find trouble, too, but that is more or less one and the same thing.

The part I liked the most was the mermaid story arc. It added something fresh to the whole brand. I was bored a couple of times by too long action sequences, but that is just me – a sword-fight longer than thirty seconds with a predictable outcome does not enthral me.

All in all, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is the kind of film one would expect after seeing the previous three. Still, it is a good film with great actors and some compelling moments.

RECOMMENDATION: This is a nice relaxation film which makes you hold your breath and laugh a few times. Perfect if you like pirates, action, witty humour, and a pinch of romance.


2 comments:

  1. I really wanna see this! I just feel like I need to re-watch the other three beforehand to give myself a refresher.

    I'm glad that overall you liked it. I really think they were pushing their luck with a fourth movie though, I hope they don't make a fifth...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually watching the film right now. It's definitely not as good as the previous movies, but it is what you would expect from it. Jack isn't thrilling me as much, but I like the mermaid arc too.

    ReplyDelete

Don't hesitate to drop me a few strange new words! I'd love to hear what you think!