Saturday, February 15, 2014

Game of Thrones, Seasons 1–3

GoT title cardCREATOR: David Benioff, D.B. Weiss; CAST: Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey, Maisie Williams…

SUMMARY (from IMDB): Seven noble families fight for control of the mythical land of Westeros.

MY OPINION:

Obviously, A Song of Ice and Fire by G. R. R. Martin has been on my TBR list for ages. However, even though I have heard a lot of praise for it, I have been reluctant to start it, because those books look scarily thick.

Nevertheless, I started watching the TV-series based on it on a whim, and sped through it in about three weeks, because it is so good.

As I learned from a friend who read the books and watched the show, Game of Thrones is to a great extent faithful to the book series as far as the basics are concerned, but it omits details, which is understandable.
It has a lot of great characters, played by excellent actors: the good, the evil, and those in between; and you will both love and hate them. And let me reiterate the warning my friend gave me: do not get attached to any character to strongly because nobody is safe.

The plot is full of action, suspense, intrigues and drama both on personal and general scales, with many unexpected surprises along the way and twists one never sees coming.

The scenery and settings are absolutely stunning, worth watching all on their own. And I enjoyed the music on the show quite a bit.

Game of Thrones is not for people with weak stomachs, since there is quite some graphic violence present. This show is on HBO for a reason, so be warned. The same goes for sexually explicit scenes.

Overall, I fell in love with this show, and I can’t wait for season 4, starting in April. And one of these days I will certainly venture to my library and borrow the first book of A Song of Ice on Fire, since I want to learn the details the show may have left out and get perhaps a clearer, deeper look into this amazing world.

5 stars
RECOMMENDATION: If you are a fantasy and history (since the world of ASoIaF resembles a medieval world) fan, this show is a must-see (provided you are a mature adult and can handle violence, of course), as is the book series a must-read (the advice I have to follow some day soon). 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate to drop me a few strange new words! I'd love to hear what you think!