Saturday, August 20, 2011

Bout of Books Read-a-thon


I need a little encouragement to do some more reading, so I signed up for the Bout of Books read-a-thon hosted by Amanda at On a Book Bender. The read-a-thon will be going on from August 22 to August 28 (see the schedule HERE).

My goals for the read-a-thon are pretty modest, since I have to keep up with my job-searching, writing and the usual house work. However, I will be a little optimistic and give myself a bit of challenge.

The books I want to read/finish during the read-a-thon:  

Midnight (The Vampire Diaries: The Return #3) by L. J. Smith – This won’t be a problem, I might even start before Monday, since I can’t wait to read it, I’m a little obsessed with this series lately.

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger – I’m rereading this one, because I almost completely forgot all about it (I last read it in high school), I read the first chapter yesterday, but will continue on Monday.

The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien – I’m reading this as a part of all-year-long LOTR Read-Along (hosted by Lorren at The Story Girl) and I haven’t read it anything of it yet this month, so I hope to go through some chapters of The Return of the King. Oh, and this is probably my 8th reread (I lost count ages ago).

That is it. I’m keeping it real. I might even not manage all of it. But maybe I will.

Updates (I’ll also try to update on twitter @StrangeNewWords):
The format is adapted from Amanda's. 

August 22:
The books I’ve read today (and the number of pages): The Catcher in the Rye (46 pages)
Number of pages I’ve read today: 46
Total number of pages I’ve read: 46
Today #insixwords: Too many other things to do.

August 23:
The books I’ve read today (and the number of pages): The Catcher in the Rye (110 pages)
Number of pages I’ve read today: 110
Total number of pages I’ve read: 156
Today #insixwords: Neglected blogging in favour of reading.

August 24:
The books I’ve read today (and the number of pages): The Catcher in the Rye (36 pages), Midnight (107 pages)
Number of pages I’ve read today: 143
Total number of pages I’ve read: 299
Today #insixwords: enjoying the ride on Midnight roller-coaster

August 25:
The books I’ve read today (and the number of pages): Midnight (30 pages)
Number of pages I’ve read today: 30
Total number of pages I’ve read: 329
Today #insixwords: Too hot, too busy, little reading.

August 26:
The books I’ve read today (and the number of pages): Midnight (89 pages)
Number of pages I’ve read today: 89
Total number of pages I’ve read: 418
Today #insixwords: Good stuff comes in small amounts. 

August 27:
The books I’ve read today (and the number of pages): Midnight (189 pages)
Number of pages I’ve read today: 189
Total number of pages I’ve read: 607
Today #insixwords: Could not stop reading. Heart-wrenching events. 

August 28:

The books I’ve read today (and the number of pages): Midnight (43 pages)
Number of pages I’ve read today:  43
Total number of pages I’ve read: 650
Today #insixwords: Mulling over Midnight. Been left speechless.

12 comments:

  1. This is a nice way to keep track of the books during the read-a-thon. :D

    The Midnight is a beautiful book though I have yet to read The Catcher and goodluck with LOTR!!! Cause once you start there is no putting it down. *at least that's what happens to me. lol*

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ smittenkitten: I expect Midnight to be awesome:) Oh, and I forgot to mention (I added that now) that this is a reread of LOTR, I absolutely agree it is unputdownable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your goals!

    Love your blog name, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your list is a lot more conservative than mine and probably a lot more realistic :) Your cat is adorable by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I'm doing the readathon, too! I look forward to your updates :)

    My Twitter username is @CaryCheyenneXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I wasn't going out of town I would so be doing this read-a-thon! You've set some great goals have fun next week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your honesty about goals. I try to keep them realistic too. If I claim too much, them I feel like a loser if I don't so what I say I'm going to do. And I don't like to name too many books specifically because I may want to change my mind. Good luck with the read-at-thon and the job search!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah I also completely forgot about the Catcher in the Rye, lol. I read it like 10 years ago and my mind ain't how it use to be ;) The read-a-thon should be fun and I can't wait!

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Whitney: I'm sure you would, I know how much you love readathons:)

    @ Actin' Up with Books: I feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy you're participating!! Good luck & see you on Twitter :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I stopped reading the Vampire Diaries after the original set of books. I'm interested to read your thoughts on Midnight. I too kept it simple. Big lists kind of discourage me so I thought baby steps was the way to go. Good luck and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Sarah: You too:)

    @ Jen D. Actually I think The Return trilogy is even better than the original set.

    ReplyDelete

Don't hesitate to drop me a few strange new words! I'd love to hear what you think!