Friday, January 23, 2015

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

gotgDIRECTOR: James Gunn; CAST: Chris Pratt, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper…

SUMMARY (from IMDB): A group of intergalactic criminals are forced to work together to stop a fanatical warrior from taking control of the universe.

MY THOUGHTS:

As usually, I didn’t care much for all the explosions and the like (Why am I watching sci-fi again? Oh, right, because there is more to it than action and special effects), but I liked the film as a whole very much.

What appealed to me most was that Guardians of the Galaxy is at its core a story of a band of misfits who have no one and by teaming together for essentially selfish reasons (read: greed and revenge) at first, they eventually find a family of their own choosing in each other.

The above is an important theme on its own, but alongside it, the line that struck me the most was Rocket’s “I didn’t ask for this!”, spoken in the name of everyone ‘different’. It is such a powerful message all people should bear in mind, that whichever ‘difference’, be it the colour of skin, sexual orientation, a disability, or anything else, sets us apart form the ‘norm’, we didn’t ask for it and shouldn’t be judged on its basis.

After all, we are all Groot. And Groot made me shed a tear in the end. However, Grootlet (as a friend of mine likes to call the Groot sapling) was adorable.

Over all, Guardians of the Galaxy was both an entertaining and thought-provoking film, and I am looking forward to the sequel.

4 stars

RECOMMENDATION: If you like good, entertaining, but not mindless sci-fi, give Guardians of the Galaxy a try.

1 comment:

  1. I looooove Guardians of the Galaxy. I saw it three times in the movie theater - considering that I'm usually super lazy when it comes to seeing movies, that says a lot. I was skeptical at first, but it's great. I can't wait till the sequel comes out!!

    ReplyDelete

Don't hesitate to drop me a few strange new words! I'd love to hear what you think!